Thursday, November 3, 2011

I Can See Clearly Now


I grew up in a small town in Kansas where people didn't lock their doors, spoke to everyone on the street, knew their neighbors and believed in the American Dream. In those halcyon days I wore rose colored glasses since everything looked perfect and idyllic in my narrowly experienced world. Of course WE ALL were wearing them in an effort to be more psychedelically cool. After I left for college the same pink tinted specs graced me as I viewed prospective mates with a kind of idol mentality, seeing the potential as opposed to the reality, they made everyone look good.
Over the years after I was married, settled, raising kids, moving across the country and dealing with middle age events, the spectacles turned to a sad blue from the many trials and tribulations that can come in life; disappointment, doubt, death of parents, mid-life depression, divorce, dashed dreams, etc.
After pulling myself out of that funk and getting re-established, I donned green shades representing envy and money. Sadly I was jealous of others' houses, cars, jobs and lives who had not been hit with divorce and the personal and monetary toll it takes. Getting ahead in my career and recovering financially was my primary goal resulting in long hours, travel, a job promotion and transfer. Sure it also came with worldly travel, 401 Ks, a vacation home and a job as Vice President, but I risked my relationship, health and well being in the process.
No matter how far up the ladder you get, if it is built on false principals, you're bound to topple. And fall I did as I experienced a devastating job loss that brought that shaky house of sticks tumbling down. In the aftermath, I had X-ray lenses as I scrutinized each phase of my life to understand the mental, emotional, physical and spiritual paths I had experienced, the decisions and actions I took and the reasons why. Anytime a major event happens, it is the universe's way of bringing you back to basics. All the material wealth I had acquired held no meaning if I didn't have time, happiness, vitality or anyone to share it with.
My glasses are clear and magnified now giving me a more in-depth, focused view of myself and others and they make it easier to read small print too. Much like the guy who was handed the magical frames and lenses showing him the true story behind each person he encountered, I no longer see  people at face value. Leaving judgments and preconceived ideas behind, I look deeper to understand what others may have experienced or issues they are currently dealing with. A word of kindness or compassion from me might make a difference in their world.




2 comments:

  1. Well put- I love your blogs.
    I can completly relate because from your experiences you have helped me weather many of these major events.
    It has taken us some time to realize but yes it is true all the money in the world is worth nothing without happiness and someone to share it with.
    Your words speak volumes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never known anyone who can see the world AND themselves through lenses like you have. Its a gift! I'm enjoying you sharing that gift. keep it up.

    ReplyDelete